Britain 2023 - The year ahead in politics
On the 2nd of February, Hanson search hosted their annual webinar on the year ahead in politics.
2023 was another tumultuous year for British politics, with new prime ministers, a new monarch, a serious economic shock and the onset of a recession. We also saw the cost-of-living crisis set in and energy prices continue to escalate, alongside an all-time high in industrial action and labour leading the polls. So what do our panel think 2023 will bring?
Janie Emmerson, Managing Partner – UK & Europe at Hanson Search, sat in conversation with a panel of industry experts to explore:
- How can the government start to control the ever-increasing levels of industrial action whilst protecting the public purse?
- As a critical year for the conservatives as the next election looms closer, what key areas can they address to regain the public confidence?
- The costs of living crisis is now affecting almost everyone, how can the government do more to support the country through this challenging time?
Feel free to view the recording here for all the insights and key take-aways discussed:
Meet the Speakers:
- Emma Norris – Deputy Director at the Institute for Government
Emma is the deputy director at the Institute for Government, where she has oversight of the organisation’s research programme and leads work on strategy, audience and impact, and resourcing. Emma has extensive experience of public policy, Whitehall and Westminster and prior to joining the Institute, she was a director in the RSA’s public policy team.
- Anita Boateng - Partner at Portland Communications
Anita previously worked at FTI Consulting and at the highest level of government as a special adviser in the Cabinet Office, the Ministry of Justice and DWP.
- Jim Bligh - Director of Public Affairs, UK&I at PepsiCo
Jim is public affairs director at PepsiCo, representing some of the UK’s best-loved brands, including Walkers, Quaker and Pepsi Max. Previously, Jim was corporate affairs director at Indian IT major Tata Consultancy Services, a head of policy at the CBI, and visiting fellow at the Oxford Internet Institute.
Hanson Search regularly hosts events and workshops offering structured advice and industry insights on relevant topics. To keep you updated on our news and events, sign up here so that we can stay in touch!